Monday, September 29, 2014

Berlin getaway series: #2.3 Düsseldorf - Best Coffee

il pastaio 

Though I can't claim to know all the coffee houses in Düsseldorf, I can certainly attest that after finding this particular place I have had no need to look further.
 
Il pastaio im Carsch-Haus Düsseldorf (c) MJT
Hidden away underground like a secret gem is this Italian espresso bar, alongside its cakes and pasta stores. But everything about this place feels like a genuine Italian coffee bar - sitting around 3 sides of the barrister, you are perched on stools to enjoy your espresso or espresso macchiato, and the service is friendly and quick, and the coffee is fantastic - it is like a piece of Italy tucked underground Düsseldorf.
Care of www.il-pastaio.de

So how does one find "il pastaio"?!
Firstly there is a department store called "Carsch Haus" (www.carsch-haus.de) and in the basement of Carsch Haus there is a food court, with a number of well presented and cosy places to enjoy some drinks and foods. Walking through on the right hand side is where you will find the three divisions of "il pastaio".

Care of www.carsch-haus.de
Conveniently the basement of Carsch Haus links to the subway station "Heinrich-Heine-Allee", so if arriving by train, simply continue walking in the subway towards Carsch Haus and then further into the food court. (www.delikatessa.com)
Espresso Bar - il pastaio (c) MJT
With an espresso macchiato costing 2€, it is the perfect afternoon pick me up, and I confess that the first time I found this place, I basically skipped with giddiness back to work, not for the caffeine, but that I had found somewhere that served excellent coffee.

Espresso macchiato - il pastaio (c) MJT

However if you prefer to take your time, as I have observed many pensioners around 2:30pm doing so, there is an delicious looking  selection of "dolce" desserts. The tiramisu was personally recommended to me, though it is a little too creamy for my taste. However the slice of lemon meringue was the perfect combination and ratio of all layers and flavours.

Tiramisu - il pastaio (c) MJT

I've been back most days for my daily fix of coffee and to practice some Italian, and the quality (of the coffee) never wavers. It is often crowded with people, but I've never had to wait more than three minutes to find a seat.

il pastaio im Carsch-Haus Düsseldorf (c) MJT
Coffee: ★★★★★
Service: ★★★★★
Recommended: espresso macchiato
Price: 2€

Directions
here:
Care of www.delicatessa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment